An interesting week for Radio in Social Media. Lots of huge events including Whitney's death, the Grammys, and Valentines Day looked to be really big topics, but looking over the posts in our 'focus group' of stations over the 30 hours that covered Wednesday 2/15 and up to Mid-Day Thursday 2/16 many of those topics had faded or were not really covered as much as you might think.
For this week we added 2 big stations WGCI in Chicago and Power in LA. Both are Urban or very Rhythmic stations and have huge followings - WGCI is over 138,000 likes and Power is around 120,000. I didn't have them in at first because I thought their huge advantage in Likes would just give us their topics and posts at the top in reaction. But, really these stations are not as active as many of the other stations in smaller cities. In the 30 hour span WGCI only had 5 posts on their wall - Power had 6. While they did have some big reactions on a few it many other stations in smaller cities with smaller followings were way ahead of them. Looking from the outside the GCI and Power audiences are very plugged in to Social Media - are the stations?
The 21 stations in the Focus Group generated 320 posts in the 30 hour span - that's nearly 15 posts per station!! - the activity is growing week to week. Here is a summary of the categories:
- Station Liners - 106 or 33% - Contest or programming billboards or plugs.
- Polls or Questions - 62 or 19% - Audience questions on topics
- Links to News - Gossip - Facts - Pics - Videos - 108 or 34%
- Music News - 33 or 10%
- Contests - 10 or 3%
Looking at the top topics for Likes, Comments and Shares:
- Pic of Puppy (below) - 289 likes
- Contest for tix to Ron White Comedy show - 273 likes
- Glee - and the Whitney Show on Monday - 265 likes
- Congrats to Red Wings - start thinking Stanley Cup? in Det. - 257 likes
- Bondage Busted on V Day - 248 likes - Couple arrested in Bondage Outfit on V Day.
- Weekly Family Check in morning show bit not in top 50 market - 150 comments
- Shit people say while driving in Chicago - 130 comments
- Brought Burlap Shoes do you like? -- 127 comments
- No Cross dressing in school allowed - 126 comments
- Pictures of Painted Eyebrows - 123 comments
The top shared post of the week was a cartoon of a T-Rex trying to clap hands.
Some of the topics that popped up that were outside of the big events of the week that generated some interest:
- Big footin - Pics of people stomping like big foot in unique places like Waffle House etc. Funny series on Project 961 in Atlanta.
- The "What I Do" posters for various jobs did show up on some posts, but this looked like the post of the week on many personal pages. We have one below.
- Pics of the SI swimsuit models on many rock posts.
- Valentines day had lost of questions in posts, but not a lot of response as noted above.
Stepping back and looking at all the posts in the 'focus group' it's surprising the high number of station liners in the mix. Most of these get no reaction yet they make up around a 1/3rd of the pie here. Polls, funny posts and contests really make the the most valuable Social Media categories for reaction. If you want to get your site buzzing these are the best places to play.