How did this happen? Maybe the big star power, Borat/Sacha Baron Choen's career amounts to a cameo in Talladega Nights and a short run on HBO as the Da Ali G Show. Or was it millions in special effects and a 4 star director? No this was largely shot with 1 camera in a grainy TV news style with mostly adlibs from Borat. Was it from the great TV spots, tons of well placed trailers, big appearences, or millions spent? No it was mostly generated from a few well placed appearences on SNL, Letterman, Leno and a few other smaller shows and TONS of internet marketing. Look at some of the efforts on the WEB:
- YouTube - Movie clips. They posted a ton all summer long.
- MySpace - Free movie sneak peaks for MySpace members in a number of markets
- MySpace - Tons of HTML downloads of movie scenes, music, pics and even deleted scenes for you to download to your site.
- Banner Advertising on MySpace - The banner looked more like a hype for site not a movie.
- Google - Adwords/Adsense
- Web Site - A truly tacky site that looked so geeky it was fun.
As you draw up your 07 marketing plan remember Borat. Maybe you don't need 300K in boards or 200K in TV. Maybe you need to dive into your computer and think in the new Web World. Just remember 'it has to be fun, hip and unique.'